The Representative’s functions prior to delivery of a decision or a judgment by the European Court
- Upon the inquiry of the European Court presents the Republic of Armenia Government official position (in the form of observations) in respect of the applications lodged against Armenia with the Court;
- Prior to examination of the case by the European Court, as well as during the entire examination process and after consulting with the competent state authorities, negotiates with the applicant to reach a friendly settlement;
- Files a public unilateral declaration during the examination process of the case by the European Court;
- Submits with the President of the European Court a request to intervene as a third party to the case under the Chamber or Grand Chamber examination, as well as represents to the Court the RA Government official position as a third party;
- Represents the Republic of Armenia official position before the European Court (both during examination of a case under written procedure and public hearings);
- For the purposes of preparing the RA official position in respect of the applications lodged with the European Court, the Representative is authorised to:
(a) Establish a working group comprised of experts, representatives from state authorities and local self-government bodies, as well as professionals from academic or other institutions;
(b) Inquire and obtain the information and documents required, as well as other support from state authorities (including, the Republic of Armenia courts, ministries, bodies at the Government), self-government bodies and academic or other institutions.
The Representative’s functions in the execution process of a decision or a judgment delivered by the European Court
- Establishes proper mechanisms for the execution of the judgment or decision delivered by the European Court in respect of Armenia;
- Prepares and submits action plans and reports to the Council of Europe Committee of Ministers in the execution process of the European Court judgment or decision delivered in respect of Armenia;
- Ensures that recommendations provided by the Committee of Ministers in the execution framework of the judgment or decision provided by the European Court are implemented;
- Presents proposals to the RA Government for payment of just satisfaction sums awarded by the European Court, as well as for expenses needed to submit the RA Government official position to the European Court;
- Ensures that the European Court judgments delivered in respect of Armenia are translated and disseminated.
The Representative’s functions in respect of implementation of European human rights standards
- Submits proposals to amend Republic of Armenia legislation or other legal acts or adopt new legislation based on the decision or judgment of the European Court;
- Submits proposals on implementing recommendations regarding torture set in the reports of the Council of Europe and United Nations delivered in respect of Armenia;
- Having regarded the European Court judgments and decisions in respect of Armenia, takes measures to remedy the violations found and prevent similar violations in the future;
- Cooperates with educational institutions, as well as competent divisions of state authorities and local-self government bodies pursuant to his mandate in order to include materials relevant to the European Court case law in their academic and professional trainings curricula;
- Cooperates with international organizations and civic society institutions pursuant to his mandate;
- Examines the legal practice of the respective fields and, if necessary, submits proposals to amend and bring them in compliance with the international and European human rights standards.
Other functions of the Representative
- Cooperates with the Republic of Armenia Permanent Representation to the Council of Europe and is authorised to inquire and receive required information pursuant to his mandate;
- Can make mandatory inquiries for the state authorities and local self-government bodies on submission of necessary information and documents, as well as on provision of other support in respect of the applications in examination process at the European Court. The requested data is to be provided to the Representative within the time frames set by the latter;
- Has a right to advisory vote during the Republic of Armenia Government Sessions.